WASHINGTON (WNCT) — The Department of Defense released the names of 13 service members killed in Afghanistan on Thursday.
The Department of Defense said in a memo that the 13 military, 11 Marines, one Army and one Navy, “support Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.” They died on August 26, 2021 following an enemy attack while supporting non-combatant evacuation operations in Kabul, Afghanistan. The incident is under investigation.
On Saturday, the Pentagon said their remains were being airlifted to the United States.
For the Marine Corps, the deceased are:
- Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Darin T. Hoover, 31, of Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Marine Corps Sgt. Johanny Rosariopichardo, 25, of Lawrence, Massachusetts.
- Marine Corps Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, 23, of Sacramento, Calif.
- Marine Corps Corporal. Hunter Lopez, 22, of Indio, California.
- Marine Corps Corporal. Daegan W. Page, 23, from Omaha, Nebraska.
- Marine Corps Corporal. Humberto A. Sanchez, 22, of Logansport, Indiana.
- Marine Corps spear. David L. Espinoza, 20, of Rio Bravo, Texas.
- Marine Corps spear. Jared M. Schmitz, 20, of St. Charles, Missouri.
- Marine Corps spear. Rylee J. McCollum, 20, of Jackson, Wyoming.
- Marine Corps spear. Dylan R. Merola, 20, of Rancho Cucamonga, California.
- Marine Corps spear. Kareem M. Nikoui, 20, of Norco, California.
For the Navy, the deceased is:
- Marine Hospitalman Maxton W. Soviak, 22, of Berlin Heights, Ohio
For the Army, the deceased is:
- Army Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss, 23, of Corryton, Tennessee